Outdoor security cameras are used for the surveillance of exterior of the building, home or office. These cameras are helpful in providing security to banks and home. Outdoor security cameras should be weather proof and sturdy, as these cameras are installed outside the building.
Outdoor security camera comes in different models. Some models can capture color video and some can take black and white. Some outdoor cameras are even capable of taking color videos in day time and black and white video in the night. Outdoor surveillance cameras with advance features may also have infrared illumination (IR) with a passive infrared detector (PIR). This feature lights up the moving objects in complete darkness, which is really helpful for the surveillance of area with no lights. There are outdoor security cameras available, which have audible or visual alarms, threat imaging, or built-in camera speakers and microphone. For monitoring, an outdoor security camera with a wide angle lens will be useful.
You can get wired as well as wireless outdoor security cameras. Wireless security cameras are very convenient to use because they do not have cables. Wireless security cameras are weather proof. Mostly, these cameras are covered in a box or a shield, which protects the camera from a harsh weather. But the drawback of wireless security camera is high battery-consumption.
There are many advantages of an outdoor security camera. Few of them are:
• Weather resistant – Outdoor security cameras have weatherproof lenses. These lenses are clean and dry even in rain or snow. However, you should cover these cameras with some shade, because constant exposure to rain and sun may damage the camera lenses.
• Outdoor security cameras do not generate any sound and hence other people may not come to know about the presence of camera.
• Outdoor security cameras work well in night (even in total darkness) as they have infrared illuminator.
• Affordable – Outdoor security cameras are cost effective. You can even get an outdoor security camera in less than $.100.
• Outdoor security cameras also work as a deterrent device. Many a times, criminals avoid houses or offices equipped with security cameras.
Buying a security camera should not be an impulsive decision. Think sincerely, why do you need a surveillance camera? Once you have decided to buy a camera. Do a survey on internet and local stores to find out the best available option. Basic points that you should consider before buying an outdoor security camera are:
• Check the visibility of the outdoor camera in the night, as most of the crimes occur during night.
• Do not invest in fake outdoor security camera as most of the time trained criminals know the difference between real and fake cameras. These criminals also know how to breach the security. So installing a fake camera outside your premises can just be a waste of money, as it will not be able to record anything.
• Before buying a camera, cross check few things with the supplier like who will install and fix the camera, is there any refund policy?, and the warranty information.
Then comes, number of outdoor surveillance cameras you may require. This depends on the size of the area you want to cover. Usually, surveillance camera systems come in the multiple of four cameras. So for home security, one surveillance camera system may be enough but for large buildings you may have to combine outdoor and indoor surveillance cameras.
Installing an outdoor security camera is a good option as it can warn the criminals from doing anything wrong and provides security.