Windows are very functional in a house since they provide so many things such as light, ventilation, and view. It is better to decorate your windows by adding some great window treatments that are suitable for your house’s style and theme, the windows’ function, and your overall preference and taste. Putting window treatments is a great and simple way to add style and attractiveness to your house.
There are many different kinds of window treatments. Curtains or draperies, blinds and shutters, valance, screens, tiebacks, shades or even window tints and stains are all considered as window treatments.
Because of this wide variety of choices, many home owners are overwhelmed and they do not know where to start. If you are one of them and you are still clueless about how to accessorize your windows, here are some few window treatment tips.
• It is better to have minimal treatment for your windows than none at all. Treatments, especially curtains or draperies that are considered as soft treatments, add style, color, and softness to your house. Imagine your window without curtains. Your house will feel empty, bare, and cold and can have that ‘just-moved-in’ feel.
• Choose colors that complement your walls and other furniture. You can try various shades of cool colors such as blue or green or warm colors such as yellow, orange, and red depending on your room’s overall color scheme.
• If you do not want the stuffiness or too formal feel that drapes can sometimes create in a room, try sheer curtains and valances made from light material. These treatments can add softness to your window and room.
• If you want privacy, you can use glass blocks or window tinting films so that people from outside cannot see the interior of the house. Window tints can even protect your furniture, curtains, and other objects inside your house from fading.
• Using stained glass windows can also add color, drama, and unique style to your room. It also lets in light in different colors because of the stains’ colors and it really becomes attractive especially during the day when you can see the rainbow of colors.
• Blinds are very easy and convenient to use. This also gives you privacy and at the same time hides the sharp angles of your windows. However, cleaning them can also be difficult and can take time. What you can do is to use a small vacuum while they are still attached to your window or bring them out and wash them with mild soap and water.
• To add life to your window treatments, you can choose interesting patterns and textures. However, do not overdo the patterns especially if you already have a big piece of furniture with a patterned upholstery fabric. The room can look cluttered and uncoordinated. Patterns should be chosen with care and should complement the entire room’s decoration.
Window treatments can be both stylish and practical at the same time. From the many options that you have, choose the ones that best suit your needs and tastes.
Richard Dinae is an architect, providing information and directories about home improvement, please visit window treatment