Solar garden lights are unique garden lamps, powered by natural solar energy. Solar garden lights do not require wiring, and thus there is no threat of anyone in your garden (i.e., pets, children, or, yourself) getting an electric shock. The lights help you save on the cost of electric, and are very easy to install.
Solar garden lights produce light with the aid of solar energy, which is the only powerful free of charge natural source of energy on earth. Unique solar cells are capable of generating electric, when exposed to the sun for long enough. A rechargeable battery makes the unit capable of storing the energy and producing light when an electric current is passed through special diodes.
Solar garden lights usually emit a moderate amount of light for a modest amount of time. However, due to constantly improving technology, the lights keep getting better, shining brighter and longer.
Advantages of solar garden lights include:
1. The lights are extremely easy to set up. When needed, solar garden lights can be also moved with the same ease. These lights can be placed anywhere throughout your garden, during the daytime hours in which there is sun.
2. They are low voltage lights. This means that they are very safe.
3. Solar garden lights allow a homeowner to save on electric and on fossil fuels costs, since these lights are powered by DC (direct current) electricity, requiring merely a common battery for the lights to operate.
4. Most of the solar garden lights come with a built in photo sensors, which make the lights go on and off according to if there is sunshine or if there isn’t. At the same time, most of the lights have an on and off button for maximum convenience.
5. Solar garden lights do not produce dangerous environmental pollutants, which is a common thing for other electricity generating utilities.
6. Solar garden lights are compact, fashionable and attractive. They are notorious for creating a special pleasant atmosphere in any garden.
7. Merely four hours of a direct exposure to the sun will provide your garden with up to nine hours of light in the evening. Good solar garden lights are also capable of shining even during the months with limited sunshine, such as autumn and winter.
8. One of the most common complaints of homeowners is that the wires in their garden get damaged, for example, by animals. Solar garden lights eliminate this problem due to not requiring any wires or electric sockets.
Before purchasing solar garden lights for your landscaping, please note the following:
1. Some solar garden lights come with a weak plastic spike to put the lights in the ground. It is better to opt for the lights with spikes made of metal.
2. Some lights are meant for nice appearance rather than for bright light, and they may just glow instead of emitting a bright light. Other lights may be short lived in the evening. If you are looking for brighter solar garden lights, which would emit light for many hours, you should look for lights with a larger area of solar cells and higher capacity batteries. The light intensity varies from one type of light to another.
3. Ensure that the solar garden lights of your choice are waterproof and weatherproof. For example, if the water leaks through the solar panel of the lights, the lights may stop working.
4. You should also try to place your solar garden lights, where there is no shadow cast in your garden. Note that on the overcast days, the lights will not shine for so long and as bright as on bright sunny days.
5. In case the lights do not go on, you should look for one of the following: batteries leaking fluid, poor quality batteries, rusty batteries, or corroded battery terminals.
6. For most convenience, opt for solar garden lights that come with an on and off button.
Solar garden lights are low cost, safe and a modern way to light up your landscapes. Solar garden lights will provide any landscaping with a special relaxing atmosphere. These lights are environment friendly and cost efficient.