The following content is syndicated content.
Whether you’re updating your kitchen or outfitting new cabinetry, selecting the right drawer slide can seem like a daunting task. How do you choose from all the options? Here’s a quick introduction to the basic characteristics of slides, as well as some of the features and benefits of different types of slides. Figuring out what you want in each category will help streamline your search.
Decide whether you want side-mount, center-mount or undermount slides. The amount of space between your drawer box and the cabinet opening will affect your decision.
• Side-mount slides are sold in pairs or sets, with a slide attaching to each side of the drawer.
– Available with either a ball-bearing or roller mechanism.
– Require clearance – usually 1/2″ – between the drawer slides and the sides of the cabinet opening.
• Center-mount slides are sold as single slides that, as the name suggests, mount under the center of the drawer.
– Available in classic wood version or with ball-bearing mechanism.
– Required clearance depends on thickness of slide.